Thursday, October 7, 2010

Fall Fashion Mini Re-Wind



A small recap. So small it's basically microscopic. But I thought I would take this time to piss of the other (if you use legitimate I might have to get out the stilettos. And not to walk on) fashion critics.

Junya Wantabe:
I happened to come across this store in Vancouver and I couldn't help but admire the beautifully crafted clothes. This brand has an attention to detail that is so inspiring. Not a single seam puckers, each piece of clothing is ironed before placed on the rack, and the store itself because an art exhibit. I felt like I was walking around the Museum of Modern Art. The only problem with this Fall collection is that it's not really original. Junya just takes the major trends of this season and plays with proportions. While I lust for almost every piece, I just wish she would have played with colors. Peter Som ran with the mod 60s like it was a marathon and it was nice to see something in between the shearling coats, muted color palettes, and military inspiration.

Alexander Wang:
Now here's where the bodily harm to me is a serious possibility. I really disliked this collection. I felt my mother owned this collection in the very late 80s and very early 90s. And she gave it away. Sometimes my mother can be so smart. I mean, this collection is baggy and flowy and all the things hipster girls crave, but in my mind it looks dated. I like vintage, but I prefer not to pay $1,000 for a top when I can root through thrift racks. I can easily see myself digging through the Salvation Army, pull up any of these pieces and have my friend Emily laugh at me until I place it back in the abyss. Because that's really where this collection belongs.

Proenza Schouler:
This, along with the Charlotte Ronson collection were my absolute favorites. I know that my previous aspirations were to be a princess, but Jack and Lorenzo have changed my dream. I want to be Kate Bosworth in Blue Crush. I want my hair to be filled with sand and roll around in the ocean. And wear a parachute harness. I don't know how those two connect, but it makes for a dynamic and unique collection. I would throw out everything I own and replace it with what swished down the runway.
Unfortunately, I can't find a good photo of the Ronson show, but I adored it. I felt like this was sexy 90s grunge. And what makes this collection so great is that I didn't even know that was possible. I've seen kinderwhore and androgynous styles, but I can't find the words to describe this female Kurt Cobain look. It's comfy, but still stylish and distinctly feminine. Gimme, gimme more.

Images Via: Man Repeller, BecauseI'mAddicted, BIA

0 comments: