Sunday, January 2, 2011

A Black Beauty

This post is for the reader who asked what would be a good stylish but appropriate outfit for a funeral. First off, I'm sorry for your loss. As I wrote earlier, I actually had to attend a funeral this past week, and I also just found out that a girl in my advisory's mother passed away. My fancier black shirt was in the wash, so I decided to wear my new Oscar de la Renta sweater dress, black tights, and my dark purple booties. It was simple, plain, but classy. And I think that's the goal. Even though I had color, it was a darker shade, and was very conservative. Though I would normally suggest keeping jewelry to a minimum, if you decide to wear all black, I think one small statement piece accompanied with less flashy accessories would be fine, i.e. earrings or a ring (like ozzie, the octopus ring I posted in "Footballin' Family" in November). A big necklace would not be desirable. Here are some examples, along with the outfit I wore. Remember, for once, you want to blend in with others and keep attention where it should be; on the one you've lost.
What I wore.
I feel like Zara always has good black options, and they're reasonably priced (there's a sale going on in a bunch of stores, and yes, Zara's one of them)
Zara, Mohair Dress. $39.99
If you have any darker jewel toned tops or bottoms, I think they would go well with a black opposite, especially a colored blouse with a black skirt (not mini, of course)
image via Chicos


This dress is definitely something that could be accompanied by a statement ring or purse.
Topshop, Embellished Dress by Rare. $70.00
One idea would be to dress in all black but wear colored shoes

There are a lot of ideas in this video of Miu Miu's winter 2010 collection.

0 comments: