Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Beauty and the Fair

Hello readers! Oh my goodness, it feels like ages since I've been able to sit at my computer--this morning, I finally got back from the Lake County Fair, where I've been showing my calf, Jezebelle! I go back tomorrow, but it ends this Sunday, but I won't be spending the night after tomorrow.


Jezzy is on the right, and the red one is her best friend Penny :)

It's so much fun! Yesterday evening, I found my inspiration for this post; I was finally finished washing, clipping and showing my baby calf, and had been going on rides when I overheard a voice on a PA system: "A memory Stephanie will never forget would be when she spent a year in solidarity with the homeless in Los Angeles". I found where the voice was coming from--a beauty pageant, the Ms. Lake County Beauty Pageant, that is, was being held, and 10 contestants in beautiful dresses were lined up on a simple platform with a white canopy. An 11th girl in an equally beautiful dress was standing behind a podium reading each girls' mini-bio. I sat in one of the many folding chairs and watched, pondering. These girls were competing to be the face of America, right? What about the women hard at work, trying to change the world for the better?
I realized that this was the mindset of many onlookers, some of which were quietly snickering when it was mentioned that one contestants' favorite place to eat was Portillos, and her favorite dish? The chopped salad!
But you know what? WHO CARES?! These girls were trying to make a difference. For example, the current Ms. America, Caressa Cameron, aspires to be a T.V. news anchor, and her platform is all about spreading awareness about AIDs in America. Statistics say that Miss America travels 20,000 miles monthly, changing location every 24-48 hours to take action regarding their platform, trying to improve their country--so to all those who look at the girl in the crown with the huge smile plastered on her face and have a laugh, all I can say is never underestimate an American Girl. xoxo, CB
Slits seemed to be big at the pageant yesterday, and it made me wonder if the young women drew their inspiration from the 2009 Miss America pageant...

2010 Miss America, Caressa Cameron--there's something about sunny yellow on dark
skin that I love; it just gives the wearer a great glow! A definite DO

Images via missamerica.org

0 comments: